Wednesday, December 30, 2009

"A Self Reflection"

To be totally honest, my list reveals very little about me. Any other person in the world could ask for the same things, and nobody would be able to tell us apart. This very reason is why I cannot honestly rely on an item on my list to describe me or what is happening in my life. However, this does not mean I cannot do a self reflection; it merely means that I am not defined by my material possessions.

Whenever I take a look at myself in terms of personality, the thing that I always notice first is humor. I will always try to turn something into a joke, whether it is an appropriate situation or not, and this definitely bothers me. This trait has turned me into someone who is unable to deal with true pains and deep emotional situations. If someone near me has been emotionally hurt, I am useless, and I feel so shallow since I am unable to help. My normally upbeat manner and personality has gotten to the point that I cannot view something in a totally serious light.

Additionally, it has given rise to a sarcastic part of me. If you have never met me, you would definitely notice how I can be sarcastic to the point of being very dismissive and cruel to others. I don't always intentionally say some of the things I say: quite often, mean or dismissive comments are a reflex of mine. I think that this is to prevent others from learning more about me and potentially hurting me. however, this is a destructive behavior, destroying potential friendships and ruining my relations to others. I cannot stop this easily, but it is one of my 2010 resolutions to change.

Overall, I feel as though that this is the most isolating and destructive of my personality traits. While it can be humorous in the beginning, people will always eventually become annoyed by my constant joking and will want to avoid me further. This is why I think that I need to change this trait, and it will definitely take work. however, I think the pay-off will be worth it, and so I will strive to accomplish this new goal of mine.

No comments: